Hello there, welcome to our blog about the Chicago dance scene. The most natural way for us to begin has to be listing the best dance schools and studios in your area.
Whether you are trying to find lessons for kids or adults one of the studios on this page should be able to help you out. There should be classes for Samba, Salsa, Hip Hop, Ballet, Tango, The Waltz, K-Pop, or other styles and routines somewhere near you and we will do our best to help you figure out where to take them.
Following the lessons we will pivot to some of the best dance clubs and bars in Chicago. There will be stores around where you can buy shoes, clothes, and other supplies that will need to get a shout out.
Aerobic dance routine workouts like Zumba, Jazzercise, Barre, Buti Yoga, or even Pole Dancing are all the rage these days so of course they will be covered. Then we will dive into local dance and music festivals both here and around the region.
If you want to get a better feel for where all these spots are located you will find a map towards the conclusion. And anyone that is interested can find more of our posts on the Midwest at that link.
Best Dance Studios & Classes In Chicago
The best Chicago dance classes and studios where you can find lessons for kids and/or adults would be:
- Gus Giordano Dance School at 5230 N Clark St
- Visceral Dance Center at 3121 N Rockwell St
- Chicago Dance at 309 W Chicago Ave FL 3
- Duet Dance Studio at 2412 W North Ave #201
- Arthur Murray Lakeview Dance Center at 3301 N Lincoln Ave
- Latin Rhythms Academy at 210 N Racine Ave
- Glenwood Dance Studio at 7017 N Glenwood Ave
- Dance Gallery Chicago at 10628 S Western Ave
- Soleunique Dance Complex at 1050 Corporate Blvd #D, Aurora
- AKA Dance Studio at 80 S River #, Aurora
- Beth’s Dance Academy at 3500 Caton Farm Rd, Joliet
- Xtreme Dance Center at 1911 Glacier Park Ave #135, Naperville
- Duet Dance Academy at 1025 N Randall Rd, Elgin
- Upper Room Dance Studio at 209 S Hale St, Wheaton
- Hao Dance at 802 S Buffalo Grove Rd, Buffalo Grove
- Dance Center at 1934 Dempster St, Evanston
- Academy of Movement & Music at 605 Lake St, Oak Park
Gus Giordano Dance School provides high-quality virtual and safe in-person classes year-round to dancers starting from age two up to professionals in Ballet, Jazz, Hip Hop, Contemporary, Tap, Modern, Musical Theater, Commercial Jazz, and more.
There are Baby and Me, Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz, Hip Hop, Breaking, Tap, and Musical Theatre lessons at Visceral Dance Center.
Chicago Dance offers courses for adults in Salsa, Swing, Tango, and various Ballroom dances plus they offer private lessons and host monthly parties so you can practice your dance skills.
Duet Dance Studio provides local Ballroom, Salsa, Swing, Tango, and Waltz lessons.
Arthur Murray Lakeview Dance Center offers Wedding, Social, Competitive, and kids dance lessons in your area.
Salsa, Mambo, Cha-Cha, Bachata, and Kizomba are the specialty at Latin Rhythms Academy.
Glenwood Dance Studio currently offers in-studio and online dance classes for adult students at all levels for Ballet, Tap, Modern, Contemporary, Jazz, Ballroom, Salsa, Musical Theater, Bemoved, Sassy Heels, and more with the classes usually taking place at night or on weekends.
Dance Gallery in Chicago is a good place to takeTap, Ballet/Pointe, Jazz, Modern, Hip Hop, Musical Theatre, Lyrical, Ballroom, Creative Movement, and Yoga classes.
Soleunique Dance Complex teaches Ballet, Children’s Classes, Contemporary, Commercial and Classic Hip-Hop, Improvisation, Modern and Classic Jazz Techniques, Partnering, and Tap Dance lessons in Aurora.
For a family-friendly dance studio that specializes in Ballet, Jazz, Contemporary, Lyrical, Modern, Tap, Hip Hop, Acro, Pilates, Yoga, and Parent and Me classes for ages 2 to adult consider AKA Dance Studio.
Beth’s Dance Academy in Joliet provides classes for all ages and levels including Tap, Ballet, Hip Hop, Jazz, Acrobatics, and Creative Movement.
The Xtreme Dance Center in Naperville excels at all styles of dance training with a focus on Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary, Modern, Hip Hop, Turns and Tech, Freestyle, Breakdance, and more.
A diverse curriculum for today’s youth and adults in Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Hip Hop, Lyrical, and more can be found at Duet Dance Academy in Elgin.
Upper Room Dance Studio in Wheaton strives to challenge both novice and pre-professional dancers in Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Tumbling, Contemporary, Ballroom Dance, and Pilate Fitness.
Hao Dance in Buffalo Grove is one of the world’s largest Chinese dance studios and performing arts organizations offering classes for all ages and abilities in Chinese Dance, Ballet, Jazz, Modern Dance, and Latin.
The Dance Center in Evanston is a good place to try a fun progressive program in Ballet, Modern, Tap, Jazz, and Hip-Hop techniques.
Academy of Movement & Music provides beginner to advanced training in Ballet, Jazz, and Historical Modern dance as well as private music instruction and an arts-based early childhood program.
Dance Clubs & Bars
There are some really fun dance clubs and bars near you to show your skills off at:
- Stereo Night Club at 5616 W Diversey Ave
- Le Nocturne Chicago at 4810 N Broadway
- The Original Mothers at 26 W Division St
- Xavier’s Club at 4456 S Western Ave
- Late Bar at 3534 W Belmont Ave
- The Hangge-Uppe at 14 W Elm St
- Spy Bar at 646 N Franklin St
- Slippery Slope at 2357 N Milwaukee Ave
- Debonair Social Club at 1575 N Milwaukee Ave
These days most will have a mix of house, techno, hip hop, and pop because they are often the easiest music genres to dance to.
Shoes, Clothes, & Supply Stores
Anyone that wants to buy dance shoes, clothes, or other supplies can head to stores in your area like:
- Chicago Dance Supply at 5301 N Clark St
- Plie Dancewear at 5361 W Devon Ave
- Wear Moi at 3352 N Broadway
- Bloche Dance Store at 159 N Marion St
- Allegro Dance Boutique at 2114 Central St
- Big N Little Shoes at 3142 W 111th St
- Body & Sole Dance Boutique at 300 N Happ Rd
- Saxton Dance Shoppe at 37 W Quincy St
- Dance ‘N Tees at 3124 Illinois Rte 59, Naperville
- Toe the Line at 314 McHenry Rd 2F, Buffalo Grove
- Allegro Dance Boutique at 2114 Central St, Evanston
- Bloch at 159 N Marion St, Oak Park
You can expect those shops to all sell shoes, clothes, and other apparel for dancing but if you need something specific follow their links to make sure they have exactly what you are searching for.
Aerobic Dance Workouts
When you want to get a sweat in visit one of these aerobic dance workout studios:
- Fly Girl Dance & Fitness at 6325 N Avondale Ave
- Nutri-Fitness Zumba Studio at 6104 W Addison St
- Edgewater Fitness Center at 1106 W Bryn Mawr Ave
- Ravenswood Fitness Center at 1958 W Montrose Ave
- Studio Fit at 1011 W Armitage Ave
- Tease Dance & Fitness at 4014 Fox Valley Center Dr, Aurora
- Dance Fuze Studio at 908 N Lake St G, Aurora
- VASA Fitness at 1590 N Larkin Ave, Joliet
- Fit Partners Club at 225 E Chicago St, Elgin
- Parks Plus Fitness Center at 1777 S Blanchard St, Wheaton
- Sona Fitness at 3008 Central St #205, Evanston
- BFit-Fitness at 447 South Blvd, Oak Park
Fly Girl Dance & Fitness has fun hip-hop-style cardio dance classes near you.
You can probably guess what the specialty at Nutri-Fitness Zumba Studio is.
Edgewater Fitness Center has local Zumba classes.
Ravenswood Fitness Center is a good place for HIIT dance workouts.
HIIT workouts to music are also available at Studio Fit.
Tease Dance & Fitness is the longest-running Pole Dance and Aerial Arts studio in Aurora offering classes in Pole Fitness, Aerial Silks, Aerial Hoop, Aerial Yoga, Burlesque, and Belly dance among other things.
Dance Fuze Studio offers a wide range of fitness classes including Dance Cardio, Cardio Drumming, Booty Gainz, HIIT, TwerkFit, and others.
Fit Partners Club is a nutrition and fitness center that offers daily group Zumba, Salsa, and Bachata dance lessons in Elgin as well as a protein bar with a delicious and healthy menu.
Parks Plus Fitness Center provides group fitness classes that include Step Interval, Total Body Workout, Spin, Yoga, and others.
BFit-Fitness in Oak Park is a Zumba, Kickboxing, and Bootcamp studio for the whole family.
Check out their links to find the right time for you to take your next Zumba, Jazzercise, Barre, or Pole Dancing class.
Music Festivals In Your Area
These local dance and music festivals are a lot of fun for everyone:
- The Chicago Blues Festival in June
- Grant Park Music Festival in June & August
- Pitchfork Music Festival in July
- Chicago Dancing Festival in August
- Chicago Jazz Festival in August
- Lollapalooza in August
- Ruido Festival in August
- The World Music Festival Chicago in September
- The North Coast Music Festival in September
- Riot Fest in September
You can also check out our posts on:
- Where To Go Dancing In Milwaukee
- Where To Go Dancing In Indianapolis
- Where To Go Dancing In St. Louis
- Where To Go Dancing In Detroit
Have Fun Dancing In Chicago
We will do our best to update this post a few times a year so check back in the future. We hope that your local dance classes, studios, music festivals, aerobic workouts, clubs, bars, and stores to buy all kinds of supplies near you are a little easier to figure out now.
If you notice anything incorrect or if you want to share your own tips and tricks for your area feel free to use the comments. Have fun dancing in Chicago!