We appreciate you joining us for this deep dive into the New York City dance scene. Our opening section will be all about the best local dance schools and studios.
Some will offer lessons for kids, others will be for adults, and at others everyone is invited. You will probably be able to find classes for Samba, Salsa, Hip Hop, Ballet, Tango, The Waltz, K-Pop, or other styles and routines somewhere in your area and we will do our best to assist.
Once the lessons have been covered in full we will move on to some of the best dance clubs and bars in New York City before pivoting to stores where you can buy shoes, clothes, and other supplies. Up next we will get into aerobic dance routine workouts like Zumba, Jazzercise, Barre, Buti Yoga, or even Pole Dancing near you.
Then we will talk about dance and music festivals both here and around the region. There will even be a dance map towards the end so that you can figure out which of these are closest to your current location.
And all of our posts on where to go dancing in the Northeast are available at that link if you want to give them a look.
Best Dance Studios & Classes In New York City
Whether you are trying to find lessons for kids or adults the best dance classes and studios in New York City are:
- PMT House of Dance at 28 W 25th St, Manhattan
- City Best Dance at 320 W 37th St, Manhattan
- Broadway Dance Center at 322 W 45th St, Manhattan
- Dance On 2 Studio at 151 W 26th St, Manhattan
- Cynthia King Dance Studio at 327 E 5th St, Brooklyn
- Brooklyns Best Dance Studio at 2017 86th St, Brooklyn
- Studio E School of Dance at 100-35 Metropolitan Ave, Queens
- Performer’s Edge Dance Academy at 4037 E Tremont Ave, The Bronx
- Cache Dance Studios at 1379 Commerce Ave, The Bronx
- Mrs Rosemary’s Dance Studio at 5 New Dorp Plaza, Staten Island
- Fred Astaire Dance Studio Staten Island Central at 2239 Hylan Blvd, Staten Island
Hip Hop, Choreography, Funk, Street Styles, Club Dances, Ballet, Jazz, Technique, and Contemporary are just a few of the dance genres taught in your area at PMT House of Dance.
At City Best Dance you can learn ballroom styles like the Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Tango, and Cha-Cha as well as Latin dances like the Argentine Tango, Bachata, Hustle, Kizomba, Lambada, Lindy-Hop, Mambo, Merengue, Night Club Latin Dancing, Polka, Salsa, and Swing.
Ballet, Contemporary, Hip-Hop, Street Styles, Jazz, Tap, and Theater can all be learned at the Broadway Dance Center near you.
Lessons in Salsa, Cha Cha Cha, Ladies’ Stlying, Shines, Performance Classes, and Bachata are available at Dance On 2 Studio in Manhattan.
African, Hip Hop, Afro-Jazz, Contemporary, Modern, Jazz, and Ballet are just a few of the classes offered at the local Cynthia King Dance Studio.
You will learn the fundamentals of Ballroom, Latin, and Social dance styles at Brooklyn’s Best Dance Studio who also teaches Waltz, Cha-Cha-Cha, Samba, Rumba, Tango, Jive, Salsa, and more.
For kids aged three to five Performer’s Edge Dance Academy in The Bronx provides the Tumblebugs program as an introduction to fundamental floor gymnastics. Hippity Hop, Jazz, Musical Theatre Jazz, Tap, Hip-Hop, Contemporary, Lyrical, Ballet Pointe, and Salsa are additional dance forms that are offered.
Local Jazz, Hip-Hop, Modern, Lyrical, Ballet Pointe, Tap, Turns and Extensions, Technique, Irish Stepdancing, Musical Theater, Zumba, and Ballroom are just a few of the dance forms offered at Mrs. Rosemary’s Dance Studio in Staten Island.
Dance Clubs & Bars
These popular dance clubs and bars near you will keep you moving all night long:
- PHD Rooftop Lounge at 355 W 16th St, Manhattan
- Le Bain at The Standard, 848 Washington St, Manhattan
- The Blond at 11 Howard St, Manhattan
- Belfry at 222 E 14th St, Manhattan
- Solas at 232 E 9th St #1, Manhattan
- House of Yes at 2 Wyckoff Ave, Brooklyn
- Mood Ring at 1260 Myrtle Ave, Brooklyn
- Jupiter Disco at 1237 Flushing Ave, Brooklyn
- Nowadays at 56-06 Cooper Ave, Queens
- Tropix Bar & Lounge at 9532 Queens Blvd, Queens
- Basement NY at 52-19 Flushing Ave, Queens
- Evo Cocktail Lounge at 1306 Unionport Rd, Bronx
- Skyline Bar & Lounge Bx at 1511 Wilkinson Ave, Bronx
- Craft House at 60 Van Duzer St, Staten Island
- The Coupe at 379 Van Duzer St, Staten Island
Most dance clubs in your area will play house, techno, pop, and hip hop because they are some of the easiest to get down to.
Shoes, Clothes, & Supply Stores
When you need to buy dance shoes, clothes, or other supplies head to:
- Capezio Flagship Store at 1650 Broadway, Manhattan
- OnStage Dancewear NYC at 197 Madison Ave, Manhattan
- Bloch Store at 51 Columbus Ave, Manhattan
- Grand Prix Dance at 7523 5th Ave, Brooklyn
- Hobsons Professional Dance Shoe at 1563 St Johns Pl, Brooklyn
- The Dance Shop at 188-06 Union Tpke, Queens
- Freed of London at 44-01 21st St #302, Queens
- iHeart Dancewear at 4275 Arthur Kill Rd, Staten Island
You can expect each of the above local stores to sell shoes, clothes, and other apparel for dancing. But if you need anything specific take those links to make sure they have it before you head over.
Aerobic Dance Workouts
Get a sweat in at these aerobic dance workout studios:
- DanceBody NoMad at 1158 Broadway, Manhattan
- M Dance & Fitness at 519 8th Ave, Manhattan
- 305 Fitness at 18 W 8th St, Manhattan
- Brukwine at 520 8th Ave, Manhattan
- Alana Life & Fitness at 530 86th St, Brooklyn
- Fit4Dance at 21 Snyder Ave, Brooklyn
- Slope Fitness at 808 Union St, Brooklyn
- Vibez Studio at 32 43 Francis Lewis Blvd, Queens
- Lagree NY at 27-11 23rd Ave, Queens
- Ocean All-Star Fitness Club at 135-39 38th Ave, Queens
- LA Fitness at 1776 Eastchester Rd, The Bronx
- Intoxx Fitness at 2071 Clove Rd, Staten Island
You will be able to find the next Zumba, Jazzercise, Barre, or Pole Dancing class near you at one of those spots.
Classes from Dancebody include Hip Hop Hits, Sculpt, and Dance Cardio in NYC.
Zumba, Hip Hop, Toning, Hip Hop HIITs, and Dance Mix Cardio are just a few of the options available at M Dance & Fitness in Manhattan.
Dance, Kickboxing, HIIT, and Plyometrics are combined in 305 Fitness for a spectacular and effective full-body workout that actually feels like a party.
Yoga, Zumba, Pilates, Cycle Shred, Sculpt, Bootcamp, and Barre are all available at Alana Life & Fitness in Brooklyn.
Slope Fitness offers local Zumba and HIIT classes.
Body Sculpt and Zumba courses in Queens are available at Vibez Studio.
Zumba classes in Queens are available at Ocean All-Star Fitness Club.
If you want to try Zumba in Staten Island you can head to Intoxx Fitness.
Music Festivals In Your Area
There are also local dance and music festivals like:
- Governors Ball Music Festival in June
- Blue Note Jazz Festival in June
- New York State Blues Festival in June
- Chelsea Music Festival in June
- BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival in June
- Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival in July
- Afropunk Festival in August
- Electric Zoo in September
- Time Warp US in November
Rock, Electronic, Hip-Hop, Indie, Americana, Pop, Folk, and other musical genres and styles are all represented during the multi-day Governors Ball Music Festival which takes place each June.
The New York State Blues Festival is one of the largest free blues festivals you will find anywhere as a variety of local NYC and national musicians from various genres are featured at this yearly three-day musical festival.
The Chelsea Music Festival honors great music by bringing together internationally renowned performers, chefs, and visual artists for a global audience to enjoy great music that ranges from Jazz to Contemporary to Classical.
One of the biggest music events in your area is the Electric Zoo Festival which brings together a wide range of performers from all over the world and from different subgenres of electronic music every September.
Many well-known musicians including some of the biggest Hip-Hop artists as well as food trucks, live art, a craft market, and other attractions are featured at Afropunk.
The longest-running free outdoor performing arts festival in New York is BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Which is held each summer in Prospect Park at the Lena Horne Bandshell.
The annual Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival (BHF) celebrates Hip-Hop music and culture. The framework of the festival revolves around its Hip-Hop Performance Day and includes a number of affiliated Hip Hop cultural events that take place in the days preceding the festival.
Time Warp US is the famous electronic music festival’s American spinoff.
Some of you may also want to read about:
Have Fun Dancing In New York City
That is all we have to share with you today, but check back in as we will update this post frequently. We hope that you learned at least a little something about your local dance classes, studios, music festivals, aerobic workouts, clubs, bars, and stores near you to buy all kinds of supplies.
If you think we got anything wrong or if you want to share your own tips and tricks feel free to use the comments. Have fun dancing in New York City!